back to school
Family Life

Back To School, The Silence Descends

The first day back to school is always weird. I mean, really weird. Particularly the first day of the new school year, after nine weeks off. Nine weeks of laughter, tears, squabbling, singing. Nine weeks of elephant feet up and down the stairs, ‘I’m bored’ multiple times a day, squealing, shouting, chatting. Then a sudden silence descends on the house, and it’s louder than all of that put together.

The silence doesn’t sound right, not now at least. I miss my children. I miss them giggling as the play together upstairs. I miss the cuddles when someone has taken a bump. I almost miss the squabbling. For now, anyway. It just feels so foreign, to hear nothing in their place.

The silence represents so much. The end of the summer, no more long periods of family time until Christmas. It signifies the return of the dreaded early mornings (which I absolutely suck at, by the way). It signifies that yesterday it was summer, and today it isn’t. It’s just a weird feeling. My kids are a pain in the bum sometimes, but I like having them at home.

Of course, I know in a few days I will relish the quiet. Finally I’ll be able to get some work done in peace. Finally I’ll be able to drink a cup of coffee without it getting cold. I’m also very much looking forward to autumn, which is absolutely my favourite season. So in some ways, the silence does represent some good. It doesn’t stop it feeling weird today though.

How do you feel about your children going back to school? Do you feel a bit odd on the first day back, or do you relish the first bit of peace in weeks? Please tell me I’m not the only weirdo who misses their children as soon as they’re gone!

Linking up to The Friday Linky

• Reply Jacinta September 1, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I feel exactly the same way on the first day of school. Nine weeks? We’ve had only 6!

• Reply rachel September 2, 2017 at 8:05 pm

I don’t work from home so i’m out the house when my kids are at school. We all go back next week which i am really sad about because i don’t want to go back to work or my kids to go back to school yet. I feel we’ve not had enough time together (even though we’ve had 6 weeks), it’s just gone too fast!

• Reply Zena's Suitcase September 2, 2017 at 8:38 pm

My daughter has really struggled with not being at school. She loves the routine and seeing her friends. We have all enjoyed the adventures though and a part of me will be sad
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…Places To Eat: Jamie’s Italian in Bath Review @JamiesItalianUKMy Profile

• Reply Musings of a tired mummy...zzz... September 2, 2017 at 10:48 pm

I am tired of all the bickering but it will be too quiet without them. September looks to be super busy so I’m looking forward to being able to crack on

• Reply Emily September 3, 2017 at 7:54 pm

I’m going to miss the summer holidays so much. The house will be very quiet without my girls at home. Thanks for linking up to #ThatFridayLinky

• Reply jeremy@thirstydaddy September 4, 2017 at 4:53 pm

I’m right there with you. The first few hours are nice, I get a lot done that I would struggle to complete with her around, and then by the afternoon I’m looking at the clock #thatfridaylinky