Anxiety & Mental Health, Life

Time Apart

My blog and I, we’ve been spending some time apart.

For a while, I just wasn’t feeling it. I couldn’t get my head in the right place, couldn’t focus or find that inspiration and motivation I was once full of.

I’ve been blogging for 3 1/2 years now, and it that time, this little space of mine has commanded a huge chunk of my brain power. What started out as a hobby soon became my life. I spent every waking minute thinking about two things: My family, and my blog. And honestly, it started to get a bit too much. My enthusiasm slowly turned to apathy, until suddenly I felt completely disinterested.

Regular readers will know that I’ve been suffering from some mental health issues, and I think this has played a major role in the recent demise of my blog. But, I don’t think it’s the only reason things went downhill. I think perhaps I was just trying to do too much. Trying to move too fast. I think a combination of low mood, anxiety, poor concentration and pure blogger burnout were the perfect catalyst for a bit of a blog breakdown.

It was a cause for concern in the beginning. Another thing to add to the list of things that I felt bad about. But more recently, I’ve been looking at the break in a new light. Instead of worrying about what I wasn’t doing and what I should be doing, I decided just to take it easy; and wow, what a difference.

For a couple of weeks, I just forgot about everything. Instead of spending my evenings at the laptop, I spent my evenings in front of the TV binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. And hey, I can confirm, activities like that are good for the soul. For a start, if you haven’t watched Gilmore Girls you absolutely need to, and secondly if you ever feel like things are getting too much just ditch it all and do your own thing. For an evening, a week or a whole year if you need it. It will do you the world of good.

Apologies if you’ve gotten this far in to the post because as I’m reading over I’m realising this is more a random collection of thoughts than a post with any real meaning. I’m kind of trialling a new way of doing things around here, to help combat the issues I spoke about in this post. I’m kind of over the trial separation me and my blog have been having, and I want to get back in to it properly, but that’s not going to happen unless I do things a bit differently. So for the next wee while at least, the place may just become a bit of a stream of consciousness while I work things out!

• Reply Lyndsey O'Halloran June 29, 2017 at 9:09 am

Sometimes you really need a break or just to do less bloggy stuff to get your head in order!

• Reply Kim Carberry June 29, 2017 at 9:17 am

It sounds like you really needed a break….Enjoy it and take your time.
    I hope things are better soon x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…10 things my kids argue about!My Profile

• Reply Leandra June 29, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Totally relate to this. I honestly didn’t realise you had anxiety issues but I’ve found this post really interesting. Will definitely keep any eye out for any new posts. In the meatintime. I’m glad that switching off helped, bloggers out in far more hours than a regular job and it can feel so overwhelming.
    Leandra recently posted…|ORGANISE|my wellbeing bullet journal ‘style’ planner pagesMy Profile

• Reply Janet T June 29, 2017 at 7:40 pm

I love reading stream of consciousness blogs. That’s how I think but don’t have the courage to write. Go for it!

• Reply Jenni June 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm

I know how you feel. I have another blog, which I haven’t posted on in almost six months. It wasn’t planned, it just happened. I kind of lost my mojo for it. Hopefully I’ll get back to it over the summer.

• Reply Fashion and Style Police June 29, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Sometimes it is best to just step away from it all. We all need a break every now and again.

• Reply Jayne @ Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs June 30, 2017 at 12:31 pm

A break can do the world of good. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with it all, but I have made a conscious effort to do my work in time slots and what isn’t done, will be done tomorrow. I feel so much better for it! I hope things get better for you soon xx

• Reply Newcastle family life June 30, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Yay your back blogging. I have been feeling exactly the same lately and have hardly blogged. You can’t beat a Netflix binge, I haven’t seen Gilmore girls yet xx
    Newcastle family life recently posted…Thing’s I Loved June 2017My Profile

• Reply Beth @ Twinderelmo June 30, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Come back to me my pretttty
    Beth @ Twinderelmo recently posted…My Monthly Bucket List – JulyMy Profile

• Reply Cath - BattleMum June 30, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I find a break every now and then is desperately needed and does me good. Sometimes it is self-imposed and sometimes not but I’m usually feeling better by the end of it. X

• Reply Claire June 30, 2017 at 8:56 pm

I know how you feel, I’ve been blogging for 6 years now and I host 3 blog hops a week. I am trying to slow down a little but don’t want to let anyone down either. I am now trying to take weekends off and have a break, it is lovely.

• Reply Musings of a tired mummy...zzz... June 30, 2017 at 8:57 pm

The blog does take over life a bit, doesn’t it?! I am staying up late every night writing and doing blogmin (linkies, threads, emails etc) I haven’t sat down and relaxed much, and my head is full of goals and plans…