Life

Some Time Alone – The Ordinary Moments

After a lovely Christmas and New year break, normal service has officially resumed this week. I went back to work on Monday, and the kids started back to school on Wednesday. Back to routine, washing uniforms and early starts, back to normality.  I enjoyed the festive break, but I’m enjoying actually knowing what day of the week it is.

The kids being back to school means I have a bit more time alone. Now I certainly don’t spend the holidays wishing the kids were still at school. In fact, I quite miss them when they aren’t here. But, having that extra time alone does allow me to do things I couldn’t do when I have the kids with me. Working without distraction/guilt is obviously one of those things. It has been nice to be able to catch up on some work this week and not feel like I’m neglecting the kids. Another thing has been nice too: Going out for a walk on my own.

I love walking. Probably one of my most uttered phrases is “Shall we go for a walk?”. For me, there are two types of walk. There’s the family walk where you pick a nice scenic place and dander around at your own pace, stopping to investigate things together. Then there’s the other kind of walking where you put on some music, step out in to the fresh air and just walk. I love both types equally, but I don’t get to practice the latter much when the kids are on a break from school.

So this week I went for a walk alone. I put on my headphones, turned up my favourite music and I walked. I didn’t have a path in mind, I just went whatever way my feet carried me. I ended up walking almost my whole village, down on to the quayside and back. It was bitterly cold, but the winter sun made everything look quite beautiful.

IMG_0691

fullsizeoutput_48bf

I’ve been feeling so sluggish over the holidays and so it was nice to go out and get my blood pumping a bit. I find walks like this so energising, and so I’m looking forward to many more of them over the coming weeks while the children are at school.

How are you finding the first week of normality?

Linking up with The Ordinary Moments with MummyDaddyMe & What the Redhead Said

• Reply Laura - Dear Bear and Beany January 9, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I love this idea of going for a walk alone. I could really benefit from doing this, just having some time with my own thoughts and getting some fresh air. I love to go for walks with the girls, but actually it can be full on. I am going to make this part of my week. x

• Reply Notmyyearoff January 9, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Post kids I think time alone is just MAGICAL. I probably should go for more walks alone but I just love to drive so much that I love jumping in the car and going for a long thoughtful drive. It really clears my head. I love your pics, they look really contemplative 🙂
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…Holidays, Winter Wonderland and hibernatingMy Profile

• Reply Sherry January 9, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Those scenes are just gorgeous! I love walking, it clears my head, makes me happier and I just feel better in general. My aim this year is to walk 2-3x a week just on my own, at lunch at work or on the weekend #TheOrdinaryMoments

• Reply RachelSwirl January 9, 2017 at 11:48 pm

It can be nice to walk alone, I tend not to do it so much these days.
    RachelSwirl recently posted…#LivingArrows – A Snapchat Special 2/52 (2017)My Profile

• Reply Donna January 10, 2017 at 12:17 pm

This sounds like utter bliss. I can’t remember the last time I went for a walk – just to walk – by myself. What a treat! x

• Reply Laura @ Little Ladies Big World January 10, 2017 at 12:53 pm

It looks like such a gorgeous walk. I love walking with the children but you are right there is nothing quite like on by yourself!

• Reply Katie @mummydaddyme January 10, 2017 at 10:07 pm

That sounds like bliss, I love to just get out and about and just walk with my headphones on and the buggy. I used to do it for hours with my eldest daughter but now with the youngest I worry about getting him into a routine of napping in the house rather than in the buggy. But it is one of my favourite things to do too. x

• Reply Mary Smith January 11, 2017 at 10:38 am

Lauren Im feeling a little jealous of where you live right now – its so gorgeous! A walk round there would be healing to anyone and certainly a great thing to bring reflection and clarity to life. Hope you have a great year. x #ordinarymoments

• Reply Gemma January 11, 2017 at 11:44 am

Can I come live with you? I would love to be near the sea! I think a walk by yourself seems a great idea – I used to take the dog out all the time by myself before I had the youngest – maybe i’ll start doing it again when the hubby is home! Thanks for the inspiration x #ordinarymoments