Anxiety & Mental Health, Life

Practicing Self Care in 2017

Practicing self care is very important for both your mind and your body. I think this is something we all know. Why is it then, that we often forget to make time for ourselves? Parents especially, myself included, often say we are ‘too busy’ to make time for ourselves. Too busy for self care. I’ve been guilty of that over the last 8 years that I’ve been a parent, but this year I want to make a change. And if you are reading this and nodding your head, then perhaps it’s time you made a change too.

It really is important that you make time for yourself. If you spend years being too busy to make time for yourself, you’ll run yourself in to the ground. So here are some of my tips for practicing self care in 2017.

Get up 15 minutes before the rest of the house

My day is manic, from 7:30 until late. From the moment we all get up, there’s so much noise and so much fuss and just so much going on. I know how hard it can be to take a minute of calm in such a busy day. Getting up 15 minutes before the kids has been a revelation for me. The house is so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. Try it, and fill those fifteen minutes of quiet with whatever you like.

Sneak it in when you can

Sitting in the waiting room at the doctors? Read a chapter of that book you’ve been meaning to read. Going to the toilet? Take a magazine with you and read an article. 20 minute tube journey? Paint your nails with your favourite colour. I often think I’ve had a busy day, but when I look closely there are lots of missed opportunities. When I’m waiting to see the doctor and there’s a 10 minute delay, instead of internally moaning and impatiently tapping my foot I could be relaxing and reading a book.

Schedule it in

If it’s written in your diary, or set as a reminder on your phone, you’ll be more likely to make time for it. Look at your schedule and work out where you could fit in half an hour to yourself, and do it.

Turn on Flight Mode

For me, sitting down to read in a quiet place is the ultimate self care act. But I can’t tell you how many time I’ve done that, but ended up distracted by something on my phone. So now? I put my phone on flight mode and ignore it while I’m reading, and it feels so much better. Whatever hobby it is that you enjoy, put your full attention to it and you’ll enjoy it so much more.

I’m making a vow to myself in 2017 to make sure I look after myself. I’m going to make sure I do the things above, to take time for myself even just for a few minutes each day. Will you be doing the same this year?

• Reply RachelSwirl January 12, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Some good ideas, I do read stuff in the bath lol

• Reply Luke Brown January 12, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I really enjoyed reading this post, as I feel the same way. We all need to time to relax and get away from our phones and laptops. There’s also no better way to do that than to get a book!

I hope you don’t mind but my friend has started a blog called These Random Acts, a home, family and lifestyle blog, focusing on setting and achieving goals as well as performing random acts of kindness.

She would love to hear your feedback and to also hear some of your own personal goals!

• Reply Rebecca January 13, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Oh, thank you for sharing your ideas! I am in total agreement about getting up a bit before everyone else, I think it makes all the difference to my day! xx

• Reply Sarah January 13, 2017 at 5:37 pm

This is all good advice. I spend my life waiting around, outside school, gymnastics, swimming and usually take the time to read my book or write a blog post!

• Reply Candace January 13, 2017 at 6:19 pm

I really think we are all guilty of the ‘I’m too busy’ excuse to not look after ourselves properly when in reality it can be just 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there and things suddenly look so much brighter

• Reply Rebecca | AAUBlog January 13, 2017 at 10:05 pm

compelltey agree with this – all good points. I have been getting up earlier than everyone else recently and it makes such a difference to have a bit of peace before the chaos and eat my breakfast alone haha
    Rebecca | AAUBlog recently posted…Night Time Essentials For Mum & The KidsMy Profile

• Reply Kerry Norris January 15, 2017 at 12:57 pm

These were all tips I was told to do in my CBT sessions. I love getting up before everyone else. So peaceful x

• Reply Jenna January 15, 2017 at 8:18 pm

These are brilliant tips. I love the one about turning the phone onto flight mode – I think I lose a lot of ‘spare time’ on social media when I could be doing something for myself.

• Reply Stephanie January 16, 2017 at 10:57 pm

It is so important to give yourself some time, I struggle so much to get up a little earlier than the kids!!
    Stephanie recently posted…Our weekend in pictures – Week 6My Profile

• Reply Debs Aspland June 10, 2017 at 11:17 pm

How is this going, now we’re in June? Have you managed to keep self-care in your diary as an appointment? I’d love to know if you have and if it’s made a big difference? I always intend to but then let it slip after a few days. Would love to hear how it’s going and any tips you may have x
    Debs Aspland recently posted…Practising what I preach – meditation and Pinterest ProcrastinationMy Profile

• Reply Lauren June 29, 2017 at 9:11 am

Honestly, it’s been going well. My self care has been reading more and slowing out in front of the tv at night instead of constantly worrying about work in the evenings and it’s been great for me. I could do more to practice self care, but the little I have been doing feels really good.