Books

My 2017 Reading Challenge

In 2016 I joined in with the Goodreads Rading challenge. I challenged myself to read 52 books over the year, amounting to one book a week. Did I do it? No, I managed a measly ten. I’m taking part in the 2017 reading challenge this year, and you may think that I’d adjust my goals accordingly, but I’m not. Again, I’ve challenged myself to read 52 books.

Ten books in one year is quite pitiful isn’t it? That’s not even a book a month. In fairness, I have a bit of an excuse. 2016 wasn’t my best year. I spent most of it feeling terribly anxious and probably even depressed, but didn’t seek help until the latter part of the year. My anxiety left me unable to concentrate on anything for longer than a few minutes, and reading just became a bit of a chore. Imagine reading a page, coming to the bottom and realising you can’t remember a word you’ve just read, and that’s what it was like for me.

After seeking help, I was placed on to a medication which helped with the anxiety, but one of the side effects for me was poor focus, so again reading was difficult. It’s only now that I’ve started a different medication that I’m regaining my concentration skills and enjoying reading again. The negative is this medication is making me gain weight at a rapid pace. But hey you can’t win them all, right?

I’m putting last year aside and pretending it didn’t happen. 2017 is a new year, and I’m ready to take on the challenge again. I toyed with the idea of 21 books, but decided to go big and see how I get on.

At the moment I’m mostly reading on my kindle. I have all of the Harry Potter books on there, which I’m reading through again. When I’m finished those I’ve got some Sherlock Holmes books I want to read. After that, I’m easy. If you have any book recommendations, let me know in the comments so I can add them to my reading list.

This year I hope to buy a bookshelf for the living room, and my aim is to start buying books. I’m going to scour car boot sales and second hand shops for some good books, and might even treat myself once a month to something from a bookshop.¬†This year I’d like to maybe try some things I wouldn’t usually read. Romance novels, self help books, educational books. Anything goes really. I want to broaden my reading and broaden my mind.

Just as last year, I will be charting my progress over on Goodreads. You can follow my progress by clicking here. I will be blogging about my reading journey too, so be sure to check back to the blog for regular updates.

Are you doing a reading challenge this year? How many books would you like to read?

• Reply Laura's Lovely Blog January 5, 2017 at 10:36 am

I love a reading challenge! I read 55 books last year which I’m really pleased with and have set myself the challenge of 50 books this year – I know it’s less but I wanted to enjoy my reading and not stress too much about a number. I struggled to read a lot when Aria was small and found that audiobooks helped – so they might help you too. Hope you’re feeling better xx

• Reply Rhian January 5, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I started so well last year but fell down so badly in the final few years that I was embarrassed with myself. I need to start using goodreads more and tracking what I read better. Good luck with your 2017 challenge x
    Rhian recently posted…Final Live Shows Of 2016My Profile

• Reply Talya January 5, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Ah I love reading and having proper books on a book shelf…it makes me really happy and I’m sure it will you too! Look forward to hearing how the reading goes x
    Talya recently posted…Expert editions vol 24: How to attain financial freedom, beauty & confidence after childbirthMy Profile

• Reply Jean January 5, 2017 at 2:33 pm

I’ve set myself the challenge of reading 12 books in 2017. Sounds like not a lot but last year I forgot to record on Goodreads when I read a book so according to that I only read 1 book last year I’m hoping to get into using audio books more this year too. Jean

• Reply Lisa Backsnbumps January 5, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I love reading and find I do it in fits and starts. When I pick up a good book I can’t put it down, then I won’t start another for ages. I love my kindle as I can pick it up and it’s always ready at the right place. More recently though I’m just reading blogs.

• Reply Lyndsey O'Halloran January 6, 2017 at 12:54 am

I never get to read anymore! Good luck to you!
    Lyndsey O’Halloran recently posted…2017 family goalsMy Profile

• Reply Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops January 6, 2017 at 9:26 am

I love reading. I am hoping to read 24 books this year (and to keep track of how many I read) I challenged myself to read 13 last year and I did that by April I think but then I lost count! I hope you get to read lots this year, it can be so difficult when you can’t focus due to meds. I am glad to hear that they have changed them.

• Reply Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons January 6, 2017 at 9:41 am

Shamefully I think I only managed to read a couple of books last year – I used to be an avid reader and could devour a good book in a day! I do want to read more this year though – I’m thinking a target of ten would be good for me. I have a Kate Atkinson I bought on my kindle about a year ago and still haven’t got around to reading, so I’m planning to start with that.

• Reply Emma January 6, 2017 at 1:18 pm

I don’t read nearly enough, to be honest I really need a trip to a bookshop to stock up. I nearly bought the Harry Potter boxset the other day actually. Good luck with your reading challenge!

• Reply Jayne @ Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs January 6, 2017 at 6:44 pm

I love a good read, just need to find a little more time to enjoy it! Hope you are feeling a little better now xx

• Reply Kerry Norris January 8, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I hope the new medication helps. I’d like to read a book a month. I used to be an avid reader x