Family Life

A funny old week

This week has been a funny old week. In fact, it’s been a funny kinda fortnight. Not haha funny, but weird funny. It’s been a fortnight largely spent indoors, for various reasons. The first being that we’ve all been feeling under the weather. The second being the actual weather, or temperature which would be more accurate. It has been freezing, which has left me looking for any excuse not to go outdoors. I know it’s only November, and it’s probably going to get colder, but we’re starting to have the stove lit a lot more and it’s really hard to tear yourself away from the flames sometimes. I find myself asking, ‘do I want to go out there where it is 0℃ or should I stay here where it’s toasty warm and have a hot chocolate?’. Certainly in the last few weeks, the latter has won.

Of course, when you spend that much time indoors you can start to get cabin fever. A bit of time outside is needed to blow away the cobwebs sometimes, and our opportunity to do that came in an unexpected way.

Having changed out of school uniforms, we headed out to the doctors surgery for the kids to get their flu jabs, which they missed at school because someone forgot to send in the consent forms (ooops!). We arrived promptly at the surgery only to be told we’d arrived on the wrong day. A mistake had been made somewhere, because the day before they had told me ‘tomorrow’. Whatever had happened, nothing much could be done so we trooped back out in to the cold. Making a decision to walk home a different way, we set off for the comfort of our warm house.

Only, we didn’t. On the way home, the kids asked if they could play hide and seek for a while. So I took a seat on a little bench, and the kids ran around playing. They hunted for bugs, pretended to be spies peeking around corners, and they did a spot of bird watching. Albeit very clumsy bird watching, as in scaring the birds away because you are so noisy kinda bird watching, but bird watching all the same.

IMG_0308

IMG_0306

It was cold, cold enough to see your breath and for your fingers to turn numb, but we still had fun for a while and it felt great to be out of the house after a period of hibernation. There were rosy cheeks all around when we arrived home and helped ourselves to a nice to drink!

I’m hoping to get out and about more this weekend, as our new winter woolies have arrived in the post! We finally all have new hats, gloves and scarves. Winter seemed to creep up on us this year, and we were not prepared at all. Now that we have all we need to keep us toasty outdoors, there really is no excuse not to enjoy some of the lovely winter sun. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Linking up with Country Kids

• Reply Coombe Mill November 26, 2016 at 1:33 pm

It’s great that you made the most of the situation and managed to enjoy some time burning off energy in the great outdoors. It’s a shame that the dates all got mixed up but at least it gave you some family time together in the fresh air. It’s lovely to see the kids imaginations at play together and see what them explore together.

Thanks for linking up with me on #CountryKids.

• Reply Rachel @ Coffee, Cake, Kdis November 26, 2016 at 6:04 pm

How annoying that you got to the doctors on the wrong day, but it sounds like you made the most of it on the way home! #countrykids

• Reply Emma - Hip2trek November 26, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Aww we’ve had a funny fortnight too with lots of bugs going around. The kids sound to have had fun with their spying game and bird watching! Hope now you can get wrapped up you can enjoy some outdoor fun. #CountryKids

• Reply Jo Addison November 27, 2016 at 10:32 pm

I’ve turned up at the doctors on the wrong day too! D’oh! At least you made the most of it though and got outside for a play!

• Reply RachelSwirl November 28, 2016 at 1:43 am

I have decided it may be cold but if I dont get out I too would get cabin fever.
    RachelSwirl recently posted…Disney Parks Tips And TricksMy Profile

• Reply Lauren December 3, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Yes absolutely, you have to get out when you can or you’ll lose the plot a bit!

• Reply Sonia November 29, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Easily done… Looks like you had fun, despite getting to the doctors on the wrong day!

Coming over from #CountryKids 🙂
    Sonia recently posted…A cold and frosty family afternoon in NorfolkMy Profile

• Reply Lauren December 3, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Yes we did have fun in the end, even if I was a little peed off about the whole thing!

• Reply Karen | TwoTinyHands November 29, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Oh no all the poorly is not good. Sounds like you’re all ready and wrapped up warm though now. Love the impromptu hide and seek though, great stuff! #countrykids

• Reply Lauren December 3, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Funny thing is we haven’t been out much since getting our new warm things!

• Reply Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops November 29, 2016 at 9:16 pm

I know what you mean, it feels like it can be a bit of an effort to get going out in to the cold, but it is worth it. It sounds like lots of fun was had on the way home! #CountryKids

• Reply Lauren December 3, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Yes well, I’m a fan of my warmth so it does take a lot of my effort to get outside in this weather, but definitely is fun once we get out!