Family Life

A change of Plans

Things haven’t exactly gone to plan today. But you know what, that’s OK. It’s been OK.

The day started as it should, as it always does. We got up slightly late, but what’s new? We had breakfast, we got dressed and we had a bit of a rush around to find things in the minutes before the school bus. A pretty standard morning actually. Someone mentioned an ailment, which is also pretty standard. Tummy aches, head aches, runny noses, there’s always something in our house. I’m certainly not one of those parents who sends their kids to school regardless of the illness, and will always keep the kids off if it’s likely they are going to spread their nastiness to their classmates. This morning however, I didn’t see a cause for concern. Neil didn’t have a temperature, so I sent him to school and told him to tell his teacher if he felt any worse.

After waving the kids away on to the school bus, the rest of the day carried on as it always does. 2:30 was when the plans began to unravel. My mobile number is the main school contact for the kids. So when the phone rang and I saw the school number flashing up, I knew they were going to say Neil wasn’t feeling great. It was only 30 minutes until he would board the bus to come back home, but he was starting to get upset so I said that granda would go and pick him up.

As it turned out, Granda wasn’t available. I ended up having to ask my boss to quickly take me to the school to get Neil and bring him back to the office with me. Which definitely wasn’t part of today’s plan. My boss did offer to take me home, but I had some things I needed to finish first so I decided against it. Neil was happy enough watching youtube on my phone while I finished some of my work. Youtube is a total saviour sometimes. Where a change in Neil’s routine like this would cause him some upset, tuning out on the world and focussing on youtube is a real help, like it was today.

Once he’d settled in a bit, he really started to make himself at home. The shoes came off, he was playing with the office dog, wandering around the showroom picking everything up. He even had his feet up on the table at one point, cheeky wee scamp! He wasn’t doing any harm though, he generally sat pretty quietly and let me get on with things. Having him at work was the most unexpected thing that could have happened today, but I just had to kind of go with it.

It didn’t take long for me to finish my work, which meant I got to leave a little bit earlier to take Neil home. Again, not part of the plan but I wasn’t complaining.

The final change came tonight. Where I would usually be sitting working at 9pm, tonight I was cuddled up on the sofa with my wee man to make him feel better. It’s not something we do often, so I was happy to rip up the plans all together and just enjoy the moment. And it was nice. A reminder that I shouldn’t always worry when things don’t go the way I expect. A reminder, that sometimes you’ve just got to go with the flow.

• Reply RachelSwirl November 22, 2016 at 10:56 am

I find ‘going with the flow’ is the only way as a parent, you sound like you have a really understanding boss!
    RachelSwirl recently posted…#TuesdayTreasures 22/11/2016My Profile

• Reply Helen Pollard November 22, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Going with the flow is the best way sometimes! Also, you have an office dog? That sounds like a dream come true…

• Reply Lauren November 23, 2016 at 1:01 am

Yes Helen, my bosses live and work on one site so their two dogs and one cat usually come in to the office during opening hours which is amazing! Nice to take a quick work break and play with the dogs for a few minutes.

• Reply Kim November 22, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Aww! I hope your boy is feeling better now….
    Sometimes going with the flow is the only thing to do….It sounds like it all worked out well x
    Kim recently posted…I do love a bath bomb….My Profile

• Reply Vikki Holness November 24, 2016 at 10:49 am

I think as parents we have no choice but to go with the flow and most times that turns out to be the best course of action anyway. Hope Neil is feeling better now xx

• Reply Keri-Anne November 24, 2016 at 11:03 am

My day yesterday was a bit of a mess too and i have awful anxiety about it in the evening and i was in bed trying to catch up on emails etc but my little girl came in crying and said she felt poorly and wanted me. I just shut my laptop, got her in bed with me, put on some lullabies and she lay her head on my chest and said my heartbeat was making her feel better. And there she fell asleep. She is 5 and i was so emotional about it as she was just like a little baby all over again and just wanted me. It turned up to be quite lovely in the end.

I hope Neil feels better today x

• Reply Stephanie November 24, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Ah I am sure he loved his cuddle with his Mum too, I hope he is feeling better now.
    Stephanie recently posted…Ways I Love To RelaxMy Profile

• Reply oana79 November 25, 2016 at 11:05 am

Sometimes, we just have to go with the flow, don’t we? Thank goodness for an understanding boss and YouTube, as you say :-). Hope the little man feels better soon.xx

• Reply Stephanie November 27, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I hope he’s feeling better now. I always find ‘going with the flow’ the best way most of the time.

• Reply lori November 27, 2016 at 9:36 pm

It always happenst that way doesn’t it! Well done lady and hope he feels better soon. x
    lori recently posted…EMBRACING HYGGE AND FRESH FLOWERS FOR CHRISTMASMy Profile