Photography

My Sunday Photo 07/08/16 – Red Arrows

Today was the day of the Festival of Flight in Newcastle County Down, a town not too far from us. It’s a big airshow which takes place every year. For those travelling in to the town, there is all sorts going on. Activities, stalls, displays and general fun things.

Unfortunately for us, things like that are way to busy. My husband and son who are both on the autism spectrum just couldn’t handle the crowds. So Instead of heading down to the festival, we decided to take a picnic to Dundrum Castle, which is about 5 miles away. Dundrum castle sits atop a tall hill, giving great views towards Newcastle, so we hoped we might catch some of the display from up there. We took up a picnic blanket and some snacks and chilled out on the grass while trying to catch a glimpse of some planes.

We were particularly interested in seeing the Red Arrows, who always put on a fantastic display. Once again we weren’t disappointed. Despite being some distance away, we were still treated to a good show. The kids loved watching them make shapes in the sky with their coloured smoke.

DSC_0355

Unfortunately it was very windy. I mean Wicked Witch cycling past your upstairs window kind of windy. As soon as the Red Arrows had finished their display we packed up and headed home with haste.

Despite the blustery weather, we still enjoyed a nice little afternoon. I hope you’re all having a lovely weekend!

Linking up with My Sunday Photo

• Reply Baby Isabella August 7, 2016 at 12:09 am

Looks like a great vantage point! My daddy hates crowds too X Hope you all enjoyed it x I’ve been in Bangor today with my Grandma at the pickie park xx Love visiting Northern Ireland #MySundayPhoto
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Silent Sunday 07.08.16My Profile

• Reply Lauren August 7, 2016 at 9:24 am

Ooh we’ve not yet been to Bangor but it looks lovely there. Hope you’ve been having a lovely time x

• Reply Tim August 7, 2016 at 12:10 am

Seeing the Red Arrows is something that’s on the list to do with our kids. Spectacular stuff.

• Reply Lauren August 7, 2016 at 9:29 am

I’m sure the kids will love it! This is the first time the kids have seen them properly, it’s a spectacular sight for anyone.

• Reply Fiona - Coombe Mill August 7, 2016 at 12:17 am

Always a joy to watch and all the better if you manage a blue sky day
    Fiona – Coombe Mill recently posted…Goat Carrying Like Babes In ArmsMy Profile

• Reply Lauren August 7, 2016 at 9:30 am

Yes we were quite lucky to get such a nice day in that respect, shame about the wind though.

• Reply Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) August 7, 2016 at 12:17 am

Glad you had a nice afternoon in spite of the blustery weather and managed to get a good view of the Red Arrows 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 07/08/16My Profile

• Reply Lauren August 7, 2016 at 9:34 am

Thanks, we did have a lovely afternoon!

• Reply Neesie August 7, 2016 at 12:30 am

Fantastic action shots Lauren, we had the Red Arrows fly over our house a few weeks back. They are fantastic and oh that engine noise sends me in a shiver. So powerful and amazingly skillful pilots too.
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo… River DeeMy Profile

• Reply Lauren August 7, 2016 at 9:37 am

Yes the noise from them really does give you a shiver, they really are something else!

• Reply laura wilson August 7, 2016 at 1:40 am

I’m so jealous! The red arrows go over us here pretty much daily but I’m always too late with my camera! Well done for catching them and have a lovely Sunday.

• Reply Lauren August 7, 2016 at 9:43 am

They move so fast it is quite difficult to get a good shot, we must have taken a couple of hundred photos before we got this!

• Reply John Adams August 7, 2016 at 5:26 am

I’ve seen the Red Arrows a few times recently and my eldest daughter loves them. Great pic. Five miles from the action is not far away when you’re watching the Red Arrows! #MySUndayPhoto

• Reply Doubtfulmum August 7, 2016 at 6:50 am

My son, who is also on the autism spectrum saw the red arrows fly past from Farnborough Airshow. Whilst they didn’t do a display, just a fly past, he is now obsessed with them! I’m now trying to hunt local shows where we might be able to see them do a proper display. #MySundayPhoto

• Reply Darren Coleshill | Photalife August 7, 2016 at 6:54 am

I never get bored of watching the red arrows. An amazing sight

• Reply Cathy Glynn August 7, 2016 at 7:01 am

We love watching the red arrows too, it can be quite tricky getting a good shot but you did it x

• Reply Topsy Turvy Tribe August 7, 2016 at 10:32 am

Love watching the red arrows. Looks like you got a great view of them anyway #MySundayPhoto

• Reply Verily Victoria Vocalises August 7, 2016 at 10:40 am

How fab to be able to see the red arrows – what a shame it was so windy!
    Verily Victoria Vocalises recently posted…Loving the LavenderMy Profile

• Reply Bear and Cardigan August 7, 2016 at 11:46 am

Great you got a shot and glad you didn’t get blown away! #MySundayPhoto
    Bear and Cardigan recently posted…#MySundayPhoto Number 32My Profile

• Reply Notmyyearoff August 7, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Picnics even in windy weather sound really nice and I love the red arrows. They are so talented aren’t they?
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…Mooching about Manchester and planning a road trip to ScotlandMy Profile

• Reply Kim Carberry August 7, 2016 at 3:09 pm

It sounds like you had a lovely day. Apart from the wind.
    Fantastic photo!
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Anyone for pie? #MySundayPhotoMy Profile

• Reply Emma T August 7, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I’d never have thought of heading somewhere else to spot them. Great idea (and photo)
    Emma T recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Claydon hippoMy Profile

• Reply Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) August 8, 2016 at 12:42 pm

They are always so awesome! We call them supermen! #mysundayphoto
    Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) recently posted…JumpMy Profile

• Reply Lisa from Lisa's Life August 9, 2016 at 2:40 pm

What a good idea to stay away from the crowds but still get a show; brilliant 🙂