Personal, Uncategorized

My First Birth Story

Ah, my first labour. It was almost seven and a half years ago now, and yet I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Every little detail, which is funny because I’ve got a memory like a sieve. I can hardly remember what I had for lunch yesterday, yet I can recount the tale of my two labours almost minute by minute. I hold on to those memories. I want to keep them forever, because those two days, along with my wedding day, are the most significant in my life.

I wasn’t a blogger when I had my babies, so I never got to share my birth stories. I’ve decided now is as good a time as any to share them. If they’re written down, they can never be forgotten. Plus, everyone loves a good brith story, right?

I’ll obviously start with my first brith story. It was January 2009, and I was a naive 21 year old, slightly terrified about what was coming. I’d considered myself mature until I’d fallen pregnant a little while before my 21st birthday. I soon realised, I didn’t have a clue!

My pregnancy was tough. I was unable to keep most foods down for most of the nine months. My naive self had thought this was normal, or course I’d never been pregnant before and neither had any of my friends, so I didn’t know any different. Looking back, I’m sure I had Hypremesis gravidarum, which causes severe sickness during pregnancy, but at the time I didn’t tell anyone. I spent a lot of my pregnancy in the house, because I often felt dizzy if I went too far. Anyway, that another story on its own!

On the morning of the 30th of January, three days before my due date, my husband went to work as normal. About ten minutes after he’s left I started to feel pains in my tummy. They weren’t very strong, but seemed to have a rhythm to them. I thought maybe they were braxton hicks, which I hadn’t experienced before. I phoned my mam, and she asked if I wanted her to come over, just incase something happened. I didn’t want to call my home husband in case I was making a fuss over nothing, so I said yes.

When my mam arrived, we sat and watched crappy day time television, like Jeremy Kyle. My pains weren’t growing with intensity, but were still coming every ten minutes, and I started to believe that maybe I was in early labour. I couldn’t wait for Neil to get home! Funny though, by the time he arrived home the pains seemed to have slowed down a bit, and he laughed at me for making a fuss over nothing. The cheek of it!

My mam went home once my husband arrived back, and I was disappointed that nothing was really happening. The pains were coming and going, but seemed to have lost their rhythm, and felt like nothing more than mild period pains. We got our dinner like normal, faffed about the house, played on the xbox and the went to bed.Β This is when things started to happen. I’d been lying down for about half an hour when I started the feel strong pains. They felt like when you need the toilet, crossed with period pains, but about ten times stronger.

My husband was already asleep by this point, so I got up and paced the room a bit. Now the pains were coming every five minutes and were strong enough to double my over when they came. I tired to wake my husband but he was having none of it. In his half asleep stupor, he told me “It’s ok, come back to bed and watch Rocky, it’s alright, just watch Rocky”. At the time I was so cross that he wouldn’t get up, but now whenever we watch Rocky I think about it, and we often laugh about it together.

Anyway, since I couldn’t get him out of bed, I decided to head in to the living room to watch something on TV. Of course, at that time of night there is damn all on, and so I was forced to watch BBC news 24 for hours on end, feeling like I was slowly going mad while the contractions kept coming. Eventually, at about 6am, I managed to wake my husband. I think the intensity of my voice alerted him, waking him from his sleep. We phoned the hospital, who said I could come in if I wanted. Of course, we’d forgotten to put money in our hospital bag, and so had no cash to get a taxi to the hospital! We had to wait until 7am for the shop to open so we could get some money.

The contractions were coming every three minutes now, and lasting about 60 seconds. I”m not going to lie, it was painful. I spent a lot of time bent over, swaying from side to side and breathing heavily. Surprisingly though, despite my usually low tolerance for pain, I kept my composure. Like, they hurt, but I was managing fine.

When we eventually arrived at the hospital, I was examined and found to be 7cm dilated. We were sent straight to the labour ward. It was a little before nine, and the labour ward seemed quiet. It was obviously quiet enough for us to have a midwife with us throughout most of the rest of the morning. While I lay on the bed OD-ing on gas and air, my husband and the midwife sat and watched Jeremy Kyle! I can still remember them discussing it, while I lay thinking “Hello, I’m in pain here and you f****rs are watching Jeremy Kyle!?

The hours went by, the pains got stronger, and I continued to puff on my gas and air like it was free. Honestly, that stuff is amazing. I knew I was in pain, but I didn’t give a damn because I felt high as a kite. You’re only supposed to breath it in when you’re having a contraction but I had it in my mouth the whole time. I felt like I had to start pushing at around 1 o’clock, after about four hours in the hospital. When that urge comes, it’s hard to fight it off. One push and my waters burst, sorryΒ exploded all over the wall in front of me. I was so high, I thought my baby had shot out, and I actually asked my husband. He still laughs about it today.

Now, I’d been quite reserved during the rest of the labour, quite quiet. I felt the pains were manageable and didn’t make much fuss. The pushing stage though, well, that was a whole different ball game. Whenever I pushed, I let out an awful scream. I couldn’t control it, it just came out. I feel for my husband and the midwife’s ears, because this went on for an hour. MAN the pushing was painful for me. Frustrating too, because it felt like it went on for ages. We tried different positions, got down on the floor, on all fours, everything, before eventually moving back on to my back.

Eventually, after an hour of pushing and a lot of screaming, little baby Neil was born at 2pm weighing 6lb 14 oz. The relief of the final push, coupled with meeting my son for the time, and I was a crying mess. It was the most amazing feeling in the world. Looking at my son, and watching my husband cry, I could have burst with the amount of love I felt in that moment.

I had torn a little, so the midwife called in someone else to do the stitches. She wasn’t the most gentle of women, and I remember thinking it felt worse than the labour. Of course looking back I know that’s nonsense, but you’d think they’d be a bit more gentle with you when you’d just pushed a human through your hooha. While I was getting stitched, a woman popped her head in to see if I’d had the baby. She was from the maternity ward, which was a few corridors away, and she said “Well done pet, we were all rooting for you up there”. My screams appeared to have travelled half of the hospital, and I was mortified!

EVENTUALLY we were left in peace with our new baby for a little, before being moved on to the maternity ward. We both just sat watching our son, so in love with this tiny little boy. He was gorgeous.


My husband then went home to fetch the car seat so we could go home. The next couple of hours are a blur for me. The adrenaline was starting to wear off and I was feeling the strain of being awake for over 30 hours. I fell in and out of sleep as my baby slept in the plastic cot beside me, all snuggled up. My husband arrived back at the hospital after 8pm, and we were discharged only six hour after I’d given birth. I hate hospitals, and really just wanted to be home, so it was the best decision for us.

My best friend drove us home, and popped in to meet baby Neil for a few minutes before heading home. While she was there, she took the first photo of me and my new baby together.


This photo always brings mixed emotions for me. Obviously I love it because it’s the first of us together. I also feel sad that I look so damn awful in it. Actually looking it is now, it’s scary. I look like a skeleton, look how thin my arms are! I was so thin, my baby bump had gone completely. In fact, if I lay down flat, my tummy was concaved. I don’t know how I managed to get through my pregnancy without someone realising how unhealthily thin I was. It really is quite scary!

Anyway, I think I’ve talked enough. That just about covers my first birth story! If you’ve read this far, well done, I’m sorry it was so long!

I have a much more dramatic tale to tell about my second labour, but that’s for another time. Check back next week for that!



A Cornish Mum
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Charlotte July 5, 2016 at 5:07 pm

    This is lovely, I love a good birth story. Aren’t men a pain in the backside when you try to wake them. I remember trying to wake my husband and he turned over yelled ‘you only THINK your in labour’ and rolled over again. My son was born 20minutes later! I have heard a lot of people say that they are not gentle when they stich you up. #TwinklyTuesday

  • Reply Becky at PinksCharming July 5, 2016 at 9:50 pm

    Ah this is bringing back memories of my labours, I had a massive tear and also thought it was worse getting stitched than giving birth, ha ha I was also mental on gas and air – someone was asking me if I had a bidet to clean the stitches and I just blurted out something about how it wasn’t the 80s and pretty much laughed in her face, poor woman! It’s s worth all the pain for those little lovely bundles isn’t it!xx #TwinklyTuesday
    Becky at PinksCharming recently posted…My Favourite 5 For June: Flamingos, Camping & ColouringMy Profile

  • Reply Jean July 5, 2016 at 10:20 pm

    Great birth story. I had bad morning sickness for the first 17 weeks so much so that when Poppy was born I was lighter than before I was pregnant.

  • Reply RachelSwirl July 7, 2016 at 12:08 am

    I too sucked on the gas and air constantly! amazing stuff πŸ™‚
    RachelSwirl recently posted…#TuesdayTreasures 05/07/2016My Profile

  • Reply Newcastle Family Life July 7, 2016 at 5:50 pm

    You look so young in that photo ! I had both my little two in that hospital too and the way it is laid out you can hear everyone screaming from the labour ward lol xx
    Newcastle Family Life recently posted…Other Bloggers Family Lives Featuring The Parenting TrialsMy Profile

  • Reply Beta Mummy July 9, 2016 at 10:34 pm

    OMG that baby photo is so gorgeous! Lovely πŸ™‚ I can’t believe you had Jeremy Kyle on during your labour..!

  • Reply Emilie July 11, 2016 at 7:40 pm

    Lol! My husband woke up fairly quickly when I told him my waters had broken but his response was “Do you want a cup of tea?!” #KCACOLS
    Emilie recently posted…Toddler Tips – 5 Ways to Deprive your Parents of SleepMy Profile

  • Reply the frenchie mummy July 11, 2016 at 10:48 pm

    I am not surprised you didn’t realise it started. It’s so weird the first time. Even if people describe what it is like, you’re never sure. Your baby was beautiful! #KCACOLS
    the frenchie mummy recently posted…Celebrating 2 months bloggingMy Profile

  • Reply Toarizonaandbeyond July 12, 2016 at 6:48 am

    My husband slept through my contractions too! I ended up cleaning out the fridge at 2am to help distract me! Looking forward to story number 2! #KCACOLS

  • Reply The Unsung Mum July 12, 2016 at 7:17 am

    Amazing story! Can’t believe you couldn’t wake him though? What a cheek! Love a good birth story. Your right though, none of is quite know what to expect in till it happens, which is way I love birth stories so much! #KCACOLS

  • Reply Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) July 12, 2016 at 2:55 pm

    Aw, that little knitted baby hat, such a cute photo! I love that bit about Rocky – towards the end of my pregnancy I looked a bit like a blimp (seriously, it was huge), and my lovely (!) better half would play the Rocky theme on his phone every time I got up in the night to pee, as a soundtrack to the momentous effort!

    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday!
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…New Moons SindyMy Profile

  • Reply MouseMooMeToo July 12, 2016 at 9:29 pm

    I love birth stories, looking forward to the second one! Gorgeous gorgeous baby. Yep, the stitching can feel even more painful than the birth, maybe because the adrenaline has eased off and you’re very much in the room, warts and all. #KCACOLS

  • Reply Lucy at occupation: (m)other July 13, 2016 at 2:00 pm

    Oh yes I do love a birth story. Sounds lovely actually…well not so much the pushing part, or the stitches! But I like that you can still remember everything so vividly and there were funny moments along the way (or in hindsight). Look forward to the second story! #KCACOLS

  • Reply A Cornish Mum July 14, 2016 at 10:02 pm

    I was just thinking you look so frail in that photo, though it is still a lovely photo. I can’t believe no one spotted that you were struggling and losing so much weight as well, that must have been such a hard time lovely. I hated being pregnant for various reasons, as much as I obviously loved the end result both times, but I didn;t suffer in the same way you must have done.

    I screamed and swore through my labours and had the gas and air taken away for abusing it and passing out πŸ˜‰ Proper classy I was 0:)

    Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix hon

    Stevie xx
    A Cornish Mum recently posted…Review: Dolphin and Whale Watching with Red Letter DaysMy Profile

  • Reply Kate July 15, 2016 at 3:42 pm

    I have always lost weight in pregnancy, it is scary just how poorly HG can make you feel. I struggled through with my first but ended up on meds for my next two. I hate pregnancy! Beautiful baby photo though πŸ™‚ #KCACOLS

  • Leave a Reply to the frenchie mummy Cancel Reply

    CommentLuv badge