anticipation
Family Life

Word of the Week – Anticipation

It’s been one of those weird weeks for the children. Well, for all of us I guess. The summer holidays are approaching, and everything is a little bit off. School work has slowed, homework has stopped, and everything is starting to wind down ready for the highly anticipated nine weeks of holidays.

It’s a period of limbo, they’re not quite broken up, but they’re not doing normal school activities either.

For the kids, excitement is building. In just 8 school days they will be saying goodbye to their classmates, ready for a summer of fun and frolics. School’s out! For me, it’s a bit of nervous anticipation. Knowing that I have nine weeks to fill. Nine weeks of activities to try and keep them from going stir crazy. I can barely keep them entertained for a few hours after school, never mind nine weeks!

Of course, I’m looking forward to having them home. I love spending time with them, and the idea of nine weeks of doing what we want, when we want… well that’s pretty awesome. But between now and then I’ll be frantically searching pinterest for things we can do! Who’s with me on that one?!

We had sports day last week, which is usually the event which indicates the beginning of the end of term. This week there have been book swaps, and they have end of term talent shows coming up next week. Caitlin is planning on auditioning for the talent show, but she’s not sure what talent she’s going to showcase just yet.

I think as the last week approaches, Neil’s anxiety levels will rise. His ASD means he doesn’t like change, and the transition between being at school every day to not being at school at all for nine weeks can be tough. It doesn’t help matters that he is moving in to an ASD unit in September, so it will be all change for him, which I’m sure will be weighing on his mind on the last few days or term.

Mostly though, I think we’re all tired. You do start to feel exhausted round about now, don’t you. Tired of washing uniforms, packing lunches, rushing around every morning looking for PE kits and homework. The kids are tired too. We could certainly do with a break. And so we anticipate the 30th of June. Roll on summertime!

What have you been up to this week?

The Reading Residence

• Reply Anne June 17, 2016 at 11:51 am

Wow, 9 weeks is a long time to be away from school. My kids don’t break up until the end of July, but you are right, we are all feeling a little tired of the routine. We have a couple of things planned for the holidays but I’m thinking I need to plan more for the days we are at home because once the routine of school has gone, all they ever want to do is sit in front of their computer screens.

• Reply Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) June 17, 2016 at 5:30 pm

I am seeing my son and I am seeing a tired boy. My son is so not into his books like when the term started and just reading them if I promise that he can play afterwards.

School is still a long time here. I cant wait for the summer vacation to start to though. #wotw
    Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) recently posted…A FriendMy Profile

• Reply The Reading Residence June 17, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Oh wow, nine weeks is a lot! I can imagine the anticipation! It does get tiring and exciting as the term winds down, hope you all have fun x Thanks for sharing with #WotW
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Word of the Week 17/6/16My Profile

• Reply Kim Carberry June 17, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Oh wow! We have a few weeks left of school yet….Eek! 9 Weeks seems such a long time.
    We have our sports day next week. As long as the weather is nice. That’s never going to happen. We’ve been having a lot of rain!
    I am thinking about the summer holidays now and I can’t wait x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…All I’ve done this week is watch TV. #WotWMy Profile

• Reply tracey at Mummyshire June 17, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Nine weeks is a long time, gosh! That’s a long time to fill – we have six weeks and this seems a long time although I do love having the children at home and relaxing our routine.
    But with one week to go I can only anticipate the excitement in your household right now. I hope you get thru this week without imploding *heehee!!*
    #WordoftheWeek
    tracey at Mummyshire recently posted…Parties : My Word of the WeekMy Profile

• Reply Karen June 18, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Oh yes, end of schoolitus is definitely hitting and our kids still have 5 weeks left….

• Reply Gemma June 18, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Oooh 9 weeks! I struggle to fill 6 weeks.
    It is hard. My kids are fed up with school and dreading sports day next week. We’ve got till 22nd July to go then it’s no routine and total chaos for the summer 🙂 but lay ins for me!

• Reply RachelSwirl June 18, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Its sports day this week for my son and Im excited for it!
    RachelSwirl recently posted…The Night Owl Lifestyle – Burning The Candle At Both EndsMy Profile

• Reply Mummy here and there June 19, 2016 at 9:03 am

Awww wow and I thought 6 weeks was tough!
    I can imagine it being tiring and always I find at tge end of the term it becomes a real slog!
    As a autisitic adult I can wholeheartedly identify with anxiety I am like this a month before my boys break up. It is very anxious time due to the extreme change and structure. But give it to me things will fall in place and settle with a new routine. X #WOTW

• Reply Angela Webster June 19, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Oh my goodness 9 weeks ! Daisy’s school have recently reduced the summer holidays from 6 weeks to 4 by adding extra weeks off during the year which I think makes it much more manageable for both parents and kids. I’m with you on the Pinterest front it can be hard to keep them entertained in the holidays. I hope the weather stays lovely so you can get out as much as possible x #WotW

• Reply Sarah christie June 19, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Blimey they break up early our break up the 3rd week in July, but they seem to have slowed down already ! x
    Sarah christie recently posted…My Sunday Photo, Saint-Fargeau, A Quintessential French VillageMy Profile