I’ll admit that I’m not really a water drinker. In fact, I hate the taste of water. It’s been that way since I was a child, and I guess I wasn’t alone. A recent survey found that 42% of parents say their children find the taste of water boring.
Despite not liking water myself, I understand the importance of staying hydrated, and I actively encourage my children to drink as much water as possible. Water is obviously a cheap and healthy way to quench your thirst, so it is important to make sure we’re drinking enough of it. Despite doing my best to make sure the kids are drinking plenty, it can still be a worry that they’re not getting enough. Particularly now during the warmer months, it’s important to stay hydrated.
My children do drink water, my son would actually choose it over other drinks. My daughter is not quite so keen, she would much prefer juice. So how do you encourage your children to drink more water?
Robinsons Squash’d are challenging families to #EnjoyMoreWater this summer, so I thought I’d share my tips.
- Fill Drinks Bottles – Invest in some good drinking/ sports bottles and fill them up each night. Leave them in the fridge so whenever someone shouts ‘Mum I’m thirsty!’ you’ll have something ready.
- Get Creative! – Buy some nice glasses, cocktail umbrellas, silly straws. Anything to making drinking a little bit more fun.
- Throw in some frozen fruit – frozen fruit is a great alternative to ice cubes, and makes a nice snack once the drink if finished. Grapes and berries are perfect!
- Add Juice – Adding a bit of juice for a bit of flavour is great for children who find the taste of water ‘boring’. Try to go for something sugar free, as juices high in sugar can damage children’s teeth.
- Have it available – Pop a bottle of Robinsons Squash’d in your handbag, so you’ve always got something tasty to hand. Squash’d comes in a handy small bottle, and only one small squirt is needed for a delicious fruity flavour.
- Make Slushies – Mix crushed ice and water in a blender before adding your favourite sugar free juice for a healthy alternative to a slushy. Perfect for a hot summer day in the garden.
With six delicious flavours to choose from, the Robinsons Squash’d range is perfect for helping children stay hydrated this summer. Our personal favourite has been the passion fruit & mango, it tastes delicious in a child friendly mocktail!
How will you be encouraging your children to enjoy more water this summer?
This post is an entry for BritMums #EnjoyMoreWater Challenge, sponsored by Robinsons