Hello 2016! I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and New Year! I’ve been on a break since mid December, to spend precious time with my family over the festive period, and refresh my head. And boy, did I need a refresh.
The break has been great, it’s done me the world of good. I have started 2016 feeling energised and raring to go!
Naturally as one year draws to a close and another one begins, we start to think about our plans for the future. I’ve not made proper resolutions, but I do have some aspirations and goals for the year ahead. One of my focuses this year will be my writing, because I just love it, so I thought I would share my writing goals for 2016.
- Write More – I know, I know, this is a very general goal, but it forms the basis of the rest of my writing goals. The only way you are going to get better at something is to keep doing it. I want to make sure I write every day. Blog posts, journal entries, book reviews on good reads, anything just to flex those writing muscles!
- Read More – Ok, I know that’s not technically writing, but for me the two go hand in hand. Reading inspires me. I’m joining in with the Goodreads reading challenge, and I aim to read 52 books over the year.
- Get Something Published – I don’t mean get a novel published, what I would love is to get one of my blog posts published somewhere like The Huffington Post, maybe even a local paper/ anywhere that will have me.
- Write Some Fiction – When I was younger I loved writing stories, something I did up until secondary school. It’s probably been 13 years since I wrote any fiction, and getting back in to it scares me a little bit. What if I’m not good at it? The fear held me back last year, but I want to push past that this year.
- Get Paid to Write – This week I finally registered as self employed. In the section about my business I wrote that I was a ‘blogger and freelance writer’. A freelance writer, it sounds pretty awesome. I giggled with delight as I typed it. I don’t know if I would consider myself a writer, I just thought it was a good way to word it on the form, but the idea of writing for a living sounds like an absolute dream. One that will hopefully become a reality this year.
That’s my 5 writing goals for the year ahead. I’ve tried to set goals that are achievable, although I’m not so sure about the getting published one, but I guess you have to dream big!
Did you make any writing goals this year? Or perhaps your focus is somewhere else? Let me know in the comments below!
Linking with What I’m Writing