my writing goals 2016
writing

My Writing Goals 2016

Hello 2016! I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and New Year! I’ve been on a break since mid December, to spend precious time with my family over the festive period, and refresh my head. And boy, did I need a refresh.

The break has been great, it’s done me the world of good. I have started 2016 feeling energised and raring to go!

Naturally as one year draws to a close and another one begins, we start to think about our plans for the future. I’ve not made proper resolutions, but I do have some aspirations and goals for the year ahead. One of my focuses this year will be my writing, because I just love it, so I thought I would share my writing goals for 2016.

1. Write More – I know, I know, this is a very general goal, but it forms the basis of the rest of my writing goals. The only way you are going to get better at something is to keep doing it. I want to make sure I write every day. Blog posts, journal entries, book reviews on good reads, anything just to flex those writing muscles!
  2. Read More – Ok, I know that’s not technically writing, but for me the two go hand in hand. Reading inspires me. I’m joining in with the Goodreads reading challenge, and I aim to read 52 books over the year.
  3. Get Something Published – I don’t mean get a novel published, what I would love is to get one of my blog posts published somewhere like The Huffington Post, maybe even a local paper/ anywhere that will have me.
  4. Write Some Fiction – When I was younger I loved writing stories, something I did up until secondary school. It’s probably been 13 years since I wrote any fiction, and getting back in to it scares me a little bit. What if I’m not good at it? The fear held me back last year, but I want to push past that this year.
  5. Get Paid to Write – This week I finally registered as self employed. In the section about my business I wrote that I was a ‘blogger and freelance writer’. A freelance writer, it sounds pretty awesome. I giggled with delight as I typed it. I don’t know if I would consider myself a writer, I just thought it was a good way to word it on the form, but the idea of writing for a living sounds like an absolute dream. One that will hopefully become a reality this year.

That’s my 5 writing goals for the year ahead. I’ve tried to set goals that are achievable, although I’m not so sure about the getting published one, but I guess you have to dream big!

Did you make any writing goals this year? Or perhaps your focus is somewhere else? Let me know in the comments below!

Linking with What I’m Writing

• Reply Jo Winwood January 7, 2016 at 1:40 pm

My writing goals are very similar and I’m sure that we’ll both achieve many of them. I look forward to reading about your writing journey and celebrating the successes with you. Happy New Year!

• Reply Random Musings January 7, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I love how your goals are centred around reading and writing, they are two of my biggest passions. Freelance writer sounds like a perfect career, it wouldn’t even feel like work! Good luck with your fiction – don’t let fear hold you back. Give it a go and if you find it’s not for you, you haven’t lost anything and at least then you will know. It’s the things we don’t do that we regret 🙂
    Debbie

• Reply Angela Milnes January 7, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I love these goals. I think it sounds great to say freelance writer too! I have similar writing goals and hope to get paid to write more content. Fingers crossed. Angela

• Reply Eve Redmond January 7, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Some brilliant goals, mine are fairly similar! Good luck 🙂

• Reply Donna @ Little Lilypad Co January 7, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I love how focused you are but love that you have added reading to your list of goals. I love to read but it never seems high on a priority list these days and like you I am making it one of my goals for this year.

Good luck xx

• Reply Maddy@writingbubble January 7, 2016 at 9:24 pm

These are great goals! And you’re absolutely right that reading and writing go hand in hand so in a year when you’re planning to try your hand at fiction again (and I say Go For It! on that front) it makes sense to read as much as you can. Reading inspires writing. The GoodReads challenge sounds good – I might have to check that out! I started calling myself a writer last year – I put it on my (personal) FB page and it felt like a huge leap forward. Funny how these little things can mean a lot. Good luck with it all and thank you so much for linking to #WhatImWriting. It’s lovely to ‘meet’ you and I look forward to following your writing journey. xx

• Reply Fi Ni January 8, 2016 at 7:21 am

Good luck with your writing goals this year. Reading more is definitely a great one for giving inspiration and broadening vocabulary etc. Well done as registering as self employed.

• Reply Zoe Alicia January 8, 2016 at 9:56 am

Love your writing goals! Have to say, I’d love to do something similar this year. To be published is like the dream 🙂 Best of luck xx

• Reply Emma T January 8, 2016 at 10:29 am

I’m now realising maybe I should have more concrete goals. Mine are just post less, learn how to use Lightroom and finish the course I half did on it. get more views and keep improving my stats.

I need to get back to reading more blogs as well. I follow lots, but don’t use my bloglovin much so really should do that more, rather than using linkys – given I rarely get people coming back and reading.

• Reply nicola young January 8, 2016 at 10:55 am

A great set of goals and all achievable. Good luck and looking forward to seeing how you get on.

• Reply Teika Bellamy January 8, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Those sound like some great goals (and totally achievable!). Wishing you all the very best with your writing. 🙂

• Reply Ellen O Keeffe January 8, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Good luck with all your goals for this year. I hope to read more this year too as I always loved reading pre-children

• Reply Lauren January 13, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I do love to read, and it’s something that I didn’t really have much time for when the kids were born, but this year I am going to make time!

• Reply Nicole (The Brightness Of These Days) January 11, 2016 at 11:35 am

A great set of goals & all achievable! Unrelated but just wanted to say that I love the look and feel of your blog. So fresh & inviting! X

• Reply Lauren January 13, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Thanks, that’s really nice of you to say, glad to know I’m doing something right x