reading challenge
Books, Personal

My 2016 Reading Challenge

I love to read. Curling up on the sofa with a book and getting lost in the story has been a favourite pastime of mine for as long as I can remember. But, like with many other hobbies, when life gets busy it can be hard to find time. Last year I read around five or six books, which is pitiful. I vowed that this year I would make time for reading, and have decided to participate in the Goodreads 2016 reading challenge.

For my own personal reading challenge, I have pledged to read 52 books in 2016, which is a book a week.  This is the first time I’ve taken part in a reading challenge. Given that I only read a handful of books last year, 52 is quite ambitious. But then, it wouldn’t be a challenge if it wasn’t challenging, would it?

Obviously my main goal of the challenge is to read more books, but I’m also hoping the challenge will push me to start reading something other than crime/ thriller novels, which is the only thing I seem to read at the moment. So far in the challenge I’ve read two books, and both of them have been out of the norm from my usual choices, so I guess it’s having the desired effect.

I think the fact that I got a Kindle for Christmas has helped a bit. I’ve wanted one for years, so I was over the moon when my husband bought me one this year. I’ve signed up for Kindle Unlimited, and have found loads of books that I want to read over the next few months. Being able to read in bed without having the lamp on (which used to annoy the hell out of my husband) is fantastic. I’ve been making the most of that luxury, and have read a little bit each night before I go to sleep. Usually I only manage a chapter or two before my eyes get heavy, but every chapter counts towards my end goal.

On top of the reading challenge, I’ve also set myself a bit of a writing challenge too. Usually when I finish a book, I will rate it and then forget about it. As I’m doing my 52 book challenge I thought it would be a good idea to write a detailed review after finishing each book. One of my resolutions this year was to write more, so this helps me with that, and it means at the end of the year I can go back and read all of my reviews and see what I liked and didn’t like.

We are nearly three weeks in to 2016 and 16, and I’m on track at the moment. Hopefully I will continue to stay on track throughout the year!

Are you doing a reading challenge this year? How many books have you pledged to read?

• Reply Desi January 19, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Hi Lauren, well done for taking on this challenge! I wish I had the time to read more….I started a book back in December and am yet to finish it! And it’s only a chick flick anyway!!!! A friend of mine gave me a couple of books last week and I am yet to even look at them. Shame on me, I loved to read as a child….(such a long time ago). I hope you complete your challenge and read all 52 books! You never know, I may decide to read a book a month this year… Have a great day!

• Reply Life as Mum January 19, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Oh sounds interesting. Good luck!

• Reply oana79 January 19, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Such a great idea, Lauren, I love to read and have tens waiting to be read on my Kindle too. I may follow in your footsteps and set myself a challenge and then blog about it. I would probably say 50 books for me since we are three weeks into 2016 already.xx

• Reply Sarah Cantwell January 19, 2016 at 4:21 pm

What a great idea! I havn’t read a book since Rosalie was born. I don’t think I would be able to fit it in with blogging, work and daily life! x

• Reply Alice January 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Great idea. I used to love reading and with my slightly obsessive personality I would turn pages and pages until the book was finished. Since having Amelia I’ve totally lost that and just tend to read blogs. Really hoping this year I find some time for a few books! x

• Reply Sophie January 19, 2016 at 11:22 pm

This is such a good challenge! I wish i read more, i have a bad habit for starting a book, i get really into it then completely forget to finish it! By the time i remember i need to start the book all over again. I think this year i will try to read more! x

• Reply Claire Kane January 20, 2016 at 9:17 am

Great idea. I’m doing a challenge as well, although not as extensive as this! I’m such a slow reader so I wouldn’t be able to manage a book in a week; I’m too easily distracted!

• Reply Fi Ní Neachtáin January 20, 2016 at 11:15 am

This is such a great challenge and I wish you lots of luck with it. It’s great that you got a Kindle for Christmas, it’ll help with getting through the books for sure 🙂

• Reply Jodie January 20, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I never get time to read anymore. I get engrossed in blogs and magazines. A great challenge. Good luck!!

• Reply Jenna January 20, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Reading more is definitely something I want to do more of this year.

I’d be happy to get through 5 books, though – let alone 52!!

Good luck, I hope you do it. 🙂

xx

• Reply Zena's Suitcase January 20, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Good luck with this challenge. I’m really jealous at the speed you can read. I would struggle with this without a doubt

• Reply Angela at Daysinbed January 20, 2016 at 1:55 pm

This is a fab idea and a good challenge. I don’t read as much as i’d like to but this is an inspirational post and a fb goal and I’m sure the Kindle will help too! What a fab Christmas gift! Angela from Dasyinbed

• Reply Tanita January 20, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Ohhh I do love a good book. I would read more if I had more time, but with blogging, my business and children it all become quite a difficult balancing act. But I do love reading so much. Good for you for taking on this challenge I look forward to seeing your written reviews. I think that is a great idea. Gives others great insight into whether they would like a book or not. x

• Reply Amanda January 20, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I love reading too 🙂 i’d love to set this as a challenge but would already be behind. I think 20 is probably more realistic for me. I’d also love to hear what books you’re thinking of reading this year. xx

• Reply Alex Lamb & Bear January 23, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I’d be lucky if I manage 1 book in a year! Before Lamb was born I read a few books a year, but now as soon as I pick up a book I fall asleep! With baby number 2 on the way I don’t think I’ll be finished a book for a while, but good for you for setting your self this challenge! x

• Reply Everything Mummy January 23, 2016 at 6:21 pm

What an amazing idea I would love to just be able to finish the one book i started a couple of months ago! things always seem to crop up but good luck I hope you succeed x