Christmas Eve Box
Christmas, Crafts

DIY Christmas Eve Box – Make Your Own!

Christmas is just around the corner, and I cannot wait. I love Christmas, and all of the festive traditions. Writing our letters to Santa, leaving a carrot for Rudolph on Christmas eve, watching The Muppets Christmas Carol, there are lots of my childhood traditions that I have carried with me in to adulthood.

One tradition which is pretty new to me is the Christmas Eve box. I found out about Christmas Eve boxes last year, and was keen to begin a new family tradition. The idea is that you take a box, and fill it with magical goodies, which you then open on Christmas Eve. The contents of the box are designed to make Christmas Eve that little bit more special. Typical contents often include pyjamas, hot chocolate and new mugs, Christmas books, a Christmas DVD.

Last year we used an old wicker basket we had in the house, but this year we decided to make a special box that could be used year after year. If you would like to make your own unique Christmas Eve box, you can follow my simple instructions.

You will need

• A wooden chest (we used this one from Amazon*)
  • Paint (we used white spray paint)
  • Paint Pens or Sharpies
  • PVA glue
  • Glitter
  • Wooden Letters (amazon*)
  • Wooden Christmas Shapes (we used snowflakes, lots of designs available from amazon & eBay.)
  • All Purpose Glue / Super Glue
*any links marked with a star are amazon affiliate links. I am not paid to include these links, but will receive a small commission on any purchases made through these links.

Method

1. Start by painting your wooden box. We used two tins of white spray paint, but other paints would probably be ok.

Christmas Eve Box

2. Using your wooden letters, spell out the words you would like to include on the box. The could be your children’s names, ‘Christmas Eve Box’ ‘Noel’ ‘Merry Christmas’ or whatever you would like it to say. Arrange them on to the box and make pencil marks so you know where they will be going later.

3. Start to draw on a design. Ideas for basic designs can be bunting, christmas trees, snow men, presents, bows, or if you are feeling a little more adventurous you can try drawing a full christmas scene or your favourite characters. If you don’t feel confident with drawing your own designs you can skip this step and simply add more wooden decorations.

Christmas Eve BoxChristmas Eve BoxChristmas Eve BoxChristmas Eve Box

5. Take your wooden letters and wooden decorations. One by one, carefully dip them in to PVA glue, and then again in to glitter. Once dipped in glitter, leave the letters and the decorations aside until the glue has fully dried.

DSC_0850DSC_0869

6. Once dry, it’s time to start gluing your lettering and decorations to your box. It’s best to use a heavy duty glue for this, especially if you want to box to grow up with your children! Add a small amount of glue to each piece and set it in to place on the box. Once all pieces are arranged, leave the whole thing to dry.

DSC_0927

DIY Christmas Eve Box

And that is how you make your own special Christmas Eve box. I hope my instructions have inspired you to make your own unique box ready to start this lovely tradition with your family.

I can’t wait to start filling our ready for the 24th of December! If you need inspiration on filling your new box, keep an eye on my blog as I will be doing a ‘What’s in the Box’ post next week!

Like this post? Why not Pin It?

Christmas Eve Box

• Reply Miranda December 2, 2015 at 11:04 am

I did not know about Christmas Eve box but I am loving the idea and this DIY is totally awesome

• Reply Ana December 2, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I love DIY and I love the illustration. You did an amazing job, now I want mine doing for raffle tickets for exchanging gift.

• Reply Rachel December 2, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I absolutely love it, so cute and I love the illustrations x

• Reply Emma T December 2, 2015 at 8:44 pm

That’s a great idea. We also eat out on Christmas even so no chance to have a proper Christmas eve box. N does get new Christmas pjs though.

• Reply The L's Mum December 2, 2015 at 10:09 pm

What a fab idea. I love how this has turned out. I do christmas eve baskets but really love this idea. I’m just not the best at DIY but you have done a fab job. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Reply Emma December 3, 2015 at 8:09 am

There seems to be so many new traditions now that people are embracing. Sweet ideas.

• Reply Just Motherhood December 3, 2015 at 3:49 pm

How very creative, you have done some beautiful illustrations on the box. Good for you for making it yourself. I did a Christmas eve box for the children last year. Not made a start for this year yet. I love the grinch! Great film. x

• Reply Janine December 5, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Wow that looks amazing. I only ever heard of Xmas eve boxes when I entered the blogging world last year. Never made one.

• Reply Charlotte Braithwaite December 5, 2015 at 6:24 pm

We’re doing the Christmas Eve Box this year!!!
    Im so excited – i didn’t think of buying a box thought i totally bought one LOL
    I love this thought … very creative!
    Charlotte x

• Reply Lisa Elliott September 4, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Hi am going to be doing a Christmas eve box each for my children this year, what would you recommend to use over the paint to give it a shine and protect it? Xx

• Reply Lauren September 5, 2016 at 9:57 am

Hi Lisa. We didn’t use anything like that on our christmas eve box, but from experience I would recommend the gloss version of Mod Podge. It can be used as a glue or a finish. I’ve used it on other projects and have always been happy with the results. You can buy it on amazon fairly cheap. I would recommend you try it on a tester piece before coving your box with it to make sure it’s the finish you are looking for. Also, don’t be alarmed when you first use it, it comes out white but dries clear. I almost had a heart attack the first time I tried it, I thought I’d ruined my project! Hope this helps x

• Reply Kim Carberry November 17, 2016 at 10:16 pm

That is gorgeous! What a lovely idea. I have been using a cardboard box wrapped in wrapping paper….lol I think I need to find a wooden box x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Our top games for Christmas.My Profile

• Reply Kelly November 20, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Hi need advice! I’m making some Xmas eve boxes and used acrylic gloss paint in red then sealed with modge podge and it’s too glossy I don’t like the finish at all so now I’m considering buying wood stain! In bright red to paint them, does anyone think this would look OK? I wanted natural looking

• Reply Lauren November 21, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Hi Kelly. I’m sorry but I have no idea! I would imagine wood stain would be fine to be used on the boxes if you haven’t already gloss painted them. Perhaps try a bit on the underneath of the box to see how it looks first. I used spray paint which gave a good colour coverage but still allowed the grain of the wood to show through, that might be an option for you? You can also get a matt Hodge Podge too, but I’ve never used it so can’t comment on it. Sorry I can’t be of more help!