New Blog
Uncategorized

From Blogger to WordPress – My New Blog!

I’ve been blogging now for almost two years. It was something I started on a whim really. I had thought about starting a blog for a while, but never really thought about, about what it would lead to in the future.

When I first sat down to write this post on my son’s 5th birthday in 2015, I had no idea what I was doing. Struggling with the emotions of watching my children grow at what seemed like an unnatural rate, I simply felt compelled to write. I needed to have something to document their lives before their childhood was nothing but a memory. And so, my little blog was born.

At the time, I didn’t know much about blogging platforms. I had a blog on Blogger as a teenager, so sticking with what I knew, I created my new blog on there too. Blogger is easy to use, and it’s free which is great for someone starting out. It served me well for 18 months, but it does have it’s drawbacks. The one thing that always bothered me about Blogger is that I never really owned my content. Blogger is owned by google, and they had the right to take my blog down at any time.

Towards the end of the summer, I started to think about making the big move from Blogger to hosting my won blog with WordPress. It took a lot of reading and researching, debating and deliberating but at the end of October I finally took the plunge.

I chose a hosting package (I went with TSOhost, for anyone that wants to know!), found a design that I liked, and then sat up until 2am one evening moving all of my blog posts over and getting everything working correctly.

The process wasn’t as hard as I imagined, although there were a few hiccups along the way. I actually went to bed almost in tears at 2am because I thought I had broken everything, but the process took a couple of hours and when I woke up in the morning and anxiously opened my laptop, I found everything was working as it should. I think you could hear my squeals of delight from miles away!

That was a couple of weeks ago now. There have been some tweaks needed here and there, and there are still some things I need to change and play about with, but I’m finally happy with how it’s looking. So, um… Ta Dah! Here is my shiny new blog, what do you think? It is not a massively different layout to the one I had on Blogger, but it looks a bit more polished. It’s by no means a finished article, the beauty of WordPress is that there are so many features and it is so customisable, so I think I’ll be tinkering around with things for a while, but I’m so happy with it so far, and I’m glad I made the move!

My new blog has made me feel excited about blogging again. It feels like the beginning of a new chapter!

Let me know what you think in the comments below. I’d love a bit of constructive feedback if you have any!

• Reply Liane November 17, 2015 at 2:00 pm

It looks lovely!
    I’ve been thinking about going self-hosted for a while but I’m so scared of loosing all my posts!

• Reply Lauren November 17, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Just do it! Honestly, it wasn’t as scary as I imagined it would be, and moving the posts over was quite easy. Any times I got stuck I just asked other bloggers who had done it before and they were really helpful, and I don’t know much but I would be happy to answer any questions if I could xx

• Reply Jane Duckworth November 18, 2015 at 10:14 am

Congratulations! Your blog is looking fantastic, well done you for taking the plunge into self hosting. 🙂

• Reply Lauren November 18, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Thank you, it’s great to receive some positive feedback on it after the work!

• Reply Becky, Cuddle Fairy November 18, 2015 at 10:38 am

Well done on the move – your site looks fab! Every post I’ve read about someone moving platforms or to self-hosted usually has a 2am melt down. There are so many technical, behind the scenes workings to blogs that I for one don’t understand & when you h ave to mess around with them it can be quite stressful! x

• Reply Lauren November 18, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Haha yes, it can be quite stressful just trying to work out what you are supposed to be doing, I was mostly stressed about the fact I had no one to blame but myself if I made a mess of it all!x

• Reply Angela at Daysinbed November 18, 2015 at 12:56 pm

well done. it can be hard to sort out techy things when blogging and sometimes we are up till 2am or later fixing and changing things! I prefer wordpress and agree self hosted is the best option! Angela

• Reply Lauren November 18, 2015 at 10:44 pm

2am seems to be the magic time for blogging problems doesn’t it?

• Reply Rachel November 18, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I think it looks fab and I would love to know what made you move and whether there is any one thing that stands out – I am debating the move currently x

• Reply Lauren November 18, 2015 at 10:43 pm

I moved for a few reasons, mainly the one I mentioned in the post about not really owning my blog on blogger. As well as that, I had been having problems with blogger comments, and I know people say they find it difficult to comment via their phone on blogger. WordPress has been amazing so far, I’m loving all of the widgets and things to customise it. Well worth the switch x

• Reply Lindsay @ Newcastle Family Life November 18, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Wow well done on doing it yourself, everything looks great. I keep thinking about switching from blogger too at times as I hate the fact google could take my blog down and I also hate the comment section on blogger too. I am too scared to make the switch though xx

• Reply Lauren November 18, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I hated the comments on Blogger too, that’s one of the reasons I wanted to move! I had a few people tell me they couldn’t comment on my blog, or that I had captcha on when I didn’t, it was starting to annoy me!
      Honestly Lindsay, it’s not half as scary as you imagine making the move! Do it! xx

• Reply Ellen O Keeffe November 18, 2015 at 10:33 pm

I moved from blogger to wordpress too and yes it was stressful but not as tough as I thought. TsoHost are brilliant too they helped me with my recent rebrand – can’t speak highly enough of them. Good luck with WP – I think you’ll love it! x

• Reply Lauren November 18, 2015 at 10:38 pm

I can’t praise TSOhost enough, they were very helpful. I did have some problems with my images not showing correctly but after a quick live chat with them they had it fixed for me. Thanks, I am loving it already and I’m just getting started!x

• Reply Emma T November 18, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Congratulations on the move. Self hosted is great, if a bit scary at the beginning. Thank god for the techie bloggers to ask advice of

• Reply Zena's Suitcase November 19, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Well done for making the transition. I promise you won’t look back. There’s so much more functionality and flexibility with wordpress. I’m glad it went relatively smoothly