Uncategorized

Word of the Week – Lego

It’s been a funny couple of weeks. I’ve been off work since the weekend before Christmas, and everyday since then has felt like a Sunday. The week between Christmas and new year is particularly strange, a bit like ground hog day, with Boxing Day repeating itself over and over. I’m never quite sure if it’s accaptable to still be in Christmas mode for that whole week, I had a drink almost every night which I would never do, and spent most of the week in my pjs! Definitely a strange week, but a great week all the same. It’s not often you get two whole weeks off!

Anyway, my word of the week this week has to be…

I don’t think a day has passed in the house since Christmas Day when Lego has not been built. There is Lego everywhere!

I was never really in to Lego as a child, too fiddly and time consuming for me. It even frustrates me a little now! I can see the benefits of Lego, Neil’s occupational therapist has recommended it for his fine motor skills and concentration, and I can see that it does help.

Neil got about 5 or 6 sets of Minecraft Lego for Christmas, and Caitlin got 3 or 4 sets of Barbie  mega blocks and some light up Lego stuff, all of which required building, obviously! We have had some mega building sessions this week. My husband in particular, as he has. Even helping Neil with his Minecraft lego and they are huge!

The finished sets are amazing!

I’m pleased to say I haven’t yet had a ‘standing on a Lego brick’ incident yet but I’m sure it’s not far off because the stuff is everywhere, I’m not sure where it’s all going to fit!

I’ll leave you with this little time lapse video on my wee mans YouTube channel of his daddy building one of the Minecraft sets.

The Reading Residence

• Reply Sian PottyMouthedMummy January 2, 2015 at 12:58 pm

My hub is chomping at the bit for H to be at Lego building age, my feet are currently thankful that we're not there yet!! Sounds like you had a fab Christmas! xx

• Reply Lauren January 3, 2015 at 11:38 am

Savour your Lego free feet while y u can xx

• Reply Dean of Little Steps January 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I love Lego! My four-year-old daughter isn' into it… yet. I'm hoping she will, so I can have some fun too 😉 Hope 2015 brings in more blessings for you and your lovely family. #wotw.

• Reply Lauren January 3, 2015 at 11:44 am

I think most kids go through a Lego phase at some point, and it is brilliant for them. Just give it time, my 4 year old isn't as in to it as her brother. Hope you have a lovely 2015 too x

• Reply Beth Twinderelmo January 2, 2015 at 1:15 pm

My boy has really gotten into lego building this hear as before he always wanted us to help but this time he's gone and built it all by himself & he was super proud!!

• Reply Lauren January 3, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Aww brilliant well done to him, it feels like such an accomplishment when you finish a build yourself! As much as ours are enjoying lego they are not quite at the age where they do much building themselves x

• Reply Kim Carberry January 2, 2015 at 1:51 pm

My girls got a load of Lego for Christmas….We have a mixture of the Lego friends sets and Minecraft….They love it!

• Reply Lauren January 3, 2015 at 12:09 pm

It's brilliant, the Lego sets are great, might look at lego friends for caitlin x

• Reply The Reading Residence January 2, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Oh yes, we have Lego! We have Lego Friends and TMNT Lego here, along with several sets of Duplo. It is taking over! I don't mind, though, as I see Lego as being a toy to be played with for years, great for fine motor skills, creativity and imagination, so I'll put up with not knowing quite where to put it all! I know what you mean about that in-between time, too. I think PJs and wine are fine! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

• Reply Karen Blower January 2, 2015 at 3:15 pm

My two had lego too 🙂 still in it's boxes though.. for now. LOL!

• Reply Redpeffer January 2, 2015 at 3:21 pm

I love Lego-my eldest got Lego Minecraft and has ben involved in creating new worlds ever since 🙂

• Reply Jane Escapades January 2, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Love the time lapse video. I loved lego as a child and I'm hoping my son will enjoy making lego sets at some point. At the moment we have some duplo sets to try and start him off. I'm glad you haven't had any lego accidents :0)

• Reply Louisa January 2, 2015 at 7:36 pm

The Minecraft lego is pretty impressive. We are also suffering from an excess of Lego but t least they have kept the sets together and not pulled them apart after hours of building! #wotw

• Reply pixiedusk January 2, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Been like that in here! Lego is a fixture on the floor eversince =P

Happy New Year! #wotw

• Reply Debbie Johnson January 2, 2015 at 10:24 pm

We had a lego Christmas too! Yours looks absolutely amazing- ours was destroyed as soon as built- I'm hoping ours get more involved in the build process as they get older!

• Reply Laura Huggins January 4, 2015 at 8:05 pm

I love that Minecraft Lego set! My eldest would love that! At the moment I am glad we do not have any lego in the house, my feet would be in agony!

Happy new year lovely

x x x

• Reply Megan - Truly Madly Kids January 4, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Wow – those sets are amazing! I have spent most of the afternoon building the blinking dolphin cruiser with my daughter. However, now it is built I am quite impressed. Especially as it was designed with a bar, speakers and sun loungers!