Uncategorized

Planting seeds – The beginning of our ‘grow your own’ adventure

This week we have been planting seeds with the kids. Neil has been off school for a few days over the bank holiday weekend, so it was the perfect opportunity to start a bit of gardening.

A few weeks ago I was given a few packs of sunflower seeds, and I have been really excited to try some growing with the kids. While Neil was off school I thought it would be a good idea to make a day of it, so my hubby took a quick trip in to town to get some gardening supplies. He came home with everything we needed to get started, including various different seeds for us to plant alongside our sunflowers.

We have been talking about growing our own fruit and vegetables for a long time, so instead of picking up flower seeds, he got us a fantastic selection of edibles.

We got chillies, peppers, herbs, fruit and vegetables. My hubby brought home plenty of pots too, so plenty of speace to plant everything we need for now.

The kids wasted no time and were straight in to action. They loved getting their hands dirty, and helped to fill the pots with compost ready for the seeds. Neil even joined in which was a big surprise as he usually hates dirty hands.

They each picked a lucky seed from the sunflower pack, and planted it in their own pot, writing their name on a ice lolly stick and putting it in the side of the pot, so we can tell which sunflower belong to which person. I even picked my own lucky seed.

Once the sunflowers were planted we finished off with the food seeds. A lot of it is spicy, as I love spicy food, so there are plenty of chillies and peppers and spices. There is even a pepper called a Yolo pepper which I had a little giggle about.

After planting everything in to pots we started to wonder where we were going to place our pots, there really wasn’t much room for them in the house, and our front garden isn’t very private so I didn’t trust putting them out there.

We decided, if we were going to be serious about this, it would be a great idea to get a greenhouse, so we would have somewhere warm and protected to start our little growing project.

You can view the beginning of our greenhouse adventures on my youtube:

We are all really excited about this little project. We’re hoping that if the kids take part in growing their own food, it might encourage them to eat more things. They are mostly excited to see how tall their sunflowers grow though, and it has already turned in to a bit of a competition.

I will be following our adventures in ‘grow your own’ on the blog over the coming months, and hopefully vlogging a lot more too, so please head over to my youtube and subscribe if you would like to see how we get on!

Have you ever tried growing your own fruit and veg at home? Do you have any tips or stories?

Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

• Reply Anonymous May 29, 2014 at 10:25 am

Looks super fun, always wanted to try my hand at growing my own produce too, am def going to follow the series and see how you fair with your attempts

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:19 am

It really is something we have always fancied doing. I would love enough land to have lots of produce growing, but the greenhouse will do for now.

• Reply Philippa Tyrer May 29, 2014 at 1:31 pm

You look very organised. Its lovely to get children involved too. You have reminded me that the sunflowers my kids planted about a month ago are still on the kitchen windowsill and need to go outside! Good luck with your gardening adventure – I hope it is successful!

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thank you! I can't wait to get the sunflowers out in to the front garden once they have started growing.

• Reply Jenna Michelle Pink May 29, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Its lovely to see your kids getting involved. I'll look forward to seeing how your plants get along 🙂 #hygg

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:24 am

I never had a garden as a child and always wanted one, which is why I'm keen to get them involved as it's something I longed for as a child.

• Reply Kirsty Phillipson-Lowe May 29, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Looks like you all had fun planting the seeds. We grow as much as we can, its great to go and pick it fresh x #HDYGG

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:24 am

It was a lot of fun, and we can't wait to be able to go out and pick out our food.

• Reply Mammasaurus May 29, 2014 at 7:15 pm

It's fab when children get involved with gardening – it adds a whole new level of enjoyment and satisfaction. Thanks ever so much for joining in!

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:22 am

They love it, it's so exciting for them to go out each morning and check on their plants.

• Reply Eco Gites of Lénault May 29, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I used to work with children on gardening projects and they all loved it – good luck with your growing project this year 🙂 #HDYGG

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:23 am

I think it's great to get children involved and teach them about nature and how things grow.

• Reply Leanne Rain May 29, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Eeekkk we did the exact same a few weeks back now, and already things have started to grow… Goodluck! #HDYGG

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

We are starting to see shoots now, it's so exciting!

• Reply Shay Noble May 31, 2014 at 9:22 am

Good luck with all of your growing! My two have been enjoying getting involved this year too 🙂

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:27 am

It is so much fun for the kids.

• Reply Jibber JabberUK June 3, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I'm always amazed how keen children are to try new things once they've helped to grow them. Keep up the good work!

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2014 at 10:27 am

Yes, it is quite funny actually. I'm hoping it works!

• Reply JuggleMum, Nadine Hill (@Businessmum) June 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Wow- third time lucky on the greenhouse!! I never expected to see pizza dough in a greenhouse!! Great idea! Thanks for sending this vlog to the BritMums Video Round-up. I will feature it in July!